Pastor J.G. Stouber (1722-1797), J.F. Oberlin’s predecessor in Ban de la Roche, created the first lending library in France.
He wanted to encourage reading of the Bible and the emergence of a genuine popular culture. This lending service became very popular quickly and was expanded by J.F. Oberlin. Among the books offered to the inhabitants were religious books, as well as books on botany, medicine and agriculture, novels and more. These books and the archives of the Oberlin collection can be consulted at the documentation centre.