Natural History Collections. Circa 1780
The six series of collections presented here are part of J. F. Oberlin’s natural history studio. The first elements of this collection were purchased by the pastor in 1766. Gifts and donations allowed him to develop these initial collections further.
These collections do not contain spectacular pieces, since the goal was not to accumulate curiosities but to create an educational tool. For J. F. Oberlin, each element in nature was created for a particular purpose and helps us to better understand the reason behind creation.
« Dépôt de la Ville de Strasbourg – Musée Alsacien »